Pastor Bong Gonzales
Jesus called them and said, "You know that those who are regarded as rulers of the gentiles lord it over them, and their high officials exercise authority over them. Not so with you , instead whoever wants to become great among you must be your servant, and whoever wants to be first must be the servant of all. For even the Son of man did not come to be served, but to serve, and give his life as a ransom for many".
This passage which our Lord did not only preach but lived by has been misinterpreted by some, especially those who are labouring in the kingdom.
We have common news of pastors and leaders involved in rebellion which started in insubordination and unwillingness to work with those who are set above them. Specially to those whom they found interfering to their affairs or even those whom they consider controlling them.
As we deeply study and look into the heart of the message of Christ it is not on the focus of becoming great but rather in becoming the servant of all. Relationship and work ethics are at stake when we begin to look on our sacrifices while others benefit from it. The issue is not living in the servant attitude that our Lord instructs us to live by. I have the following suggestions:
1. Consider every ministry opportunity as our service to Christ. Therefore, the reward and compliments must not be sought but rather just be satisfied that we serve Christ. Whether others took advantage of your servant heart as long as Christ is the center in that service, you're in good standing.
2. Count it a blessing to see others promoted, benefited and even recognized to your service. Anyway, we have a just God to whom all things will be brought into and justly recognized. It's normal even in the most spirited leadership that you will observe what you or others might find bias, unjust or unfair treatment. That's part of our imperfection. That's why in serving, we must always look at the Lord whom we are serving who has all the right to do as it pleases Him. He is Lord.
3. Commit yourself in building your place in the Kingdom of God with no room for ill feeling, murmuring and earthly honor. Anyway, all this worldly things that seem so pleasing are temporal. Any position in this earthly service are all for temporal enjoyment, but whatever Christ shall entrust to us in eternity will last forever.
4. Cover with grace, as we all know none of us is actually qualified to be in the position of service to Christ. all are by His grace that's why we are given a ministry. So, whatever we may gain, achieve and lose, cover it with His grace and don't look at it as your effort or gain. Only by grace.
5. Cost of Christ. Personally, it's not always easy to serve God especially if those who are around and above you are seemingly not on the same heart and servant attitude as you are. The following is what I do;
a. I always trust God to what he allows them to do to me. God knows all things.
b. If offended, I run to my God and pour out my heart. He always listens.
c. When unjustly treated, I remember the price Christ paid to saved and change me. The cross paid them all.
d. In all things, I give thanks for I know how great His grace is to me in that I was given a chance to serve Him in any way possible. My only prayer is that all of us who consider ourselves servants of Christ may be found faithful and truthful both here on earth and in the life to come.
Encouraging notes from JIL Canada local church Pastors and Coordinators!
Mission, Vision, Values
Declaration of Faith
Declaration of Principles and Values
Declaration of JIL Church Distinctives
Bro. Eddie Villanueva
Jam In Life
Jesus Is Lord Church is a Philippine-based, Christ-centred Full-Gospel Christian Church that is doing ministry work since 1978. It is currently present in 55 countries around the world. In 1987 Jesus Is Lord Church started its ministry work in Canada and found a home in 8 of its provinces today - British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Ontario, Quebec, New Brunswick, and Nova Scotia.